The Health Authority Abu Dhabi (HAAD) works with public, private and community partners to create and implement strategies to help people in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi who live with, through, and beyond cancer. HAAD Cancer Control Plan aims at reducing the risk, incidence, and deaths from cancer, as well as enhancing the quality of life for cancer survivors.
The main Cancer Control Strategies are:
- Establish evidence based cancer prevention programs
- Improve quality of cancer care: screening, diagnosis , treatment and palliative care
- Promote Healthy living & early detection on priority cancers : breast, colorectal, lung and cervical
- Enhance Community Support services and increase access to screening services
- Strengthen Cancer Surveillance
HAAD Cancer Control plan is a comprehensive approach that addresses all aspects of cancer care: prevention, early detection, diagnosis and treatment and palliative care, figure 1.
HAAD has and continue to establish a series of initiatives or programs to meet those strategies. Below is a description of main programs .
- Breast Cancer Screening Program
- Colorectal Cancer Screening programs
- Cervical Cancer Prevention and Screening programs
- Cancer Awareness & Education
- Community Capacity Building (CCB) programs:
- Abu Dhabi Central Cancer Registry
- Cancer Screening Registries
- Palliative Cancer Care
Cancer Prevention and Control Achievements 2007-2014